Aug 16, 2010

The Book of Job Meets Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Matt Mikalatos, Imaginary Jesus (Barna 2010) 225 pages, $14.99.


Matt Mikalatos is on a quest to encounter the real Jesus. But first, he has to deal with the imaginary Jesus that he has been hanging out with. Imaginary Jesus hangs with Matt at the Red and Black Cafe in Portland, never says no to him, and is comforting, yet "traditional" (he sports sandals and a robe with a powder blue sash). As the book opens, however, Matt doesn't even know that he's hanging with imaginary Jesus. He thinks that it's real Jesus.

That's when a burly man in work clothes wanders over to their table at the Red and Black, starts up a conversation with Matt about Jesus, and ends up punching imaginary Jesus in the face, sending him on the run. It turns out that this is the apostle Peter, here to help Matt deal with imaginary Jesus. As they chase imaginary Jesus through Portland, we learn about Matt's reason for creating this Jesus and why he needs go if Matt wants to know the real Jesus in more than a superficial way.

After the first few chapters, I was hooked. At first, I thought the book was designed to be just an amusing theological discussion (sort of a Jesus and the Victory of God with a sci-fi gimmick hook, but funny and 500-pages shorter), so by the time I met Testosterone Jesus, Magic Eight Ball Jesus, and CEO Jesus, I was a little disappointed that the theological critiques and reflections were so brief (and sometimes shallow as a result). But the book was more than amusing-- it was laugh-out-loud funny in spots-- so I stuck with it. By the time I hit page 132-- right after the snow tubing race between Meticulous Providence Jesus, Free Will Jesus, Matt, and Can't-See-the-Future-It's-Unknowable Jesus-- I realized that this really was a "not-quite-true" story about Matt's own search to find an answer to that age-old question, "Where were you, Jesus, when . . .?" And suddenly, as I shifted from reading straight theology to listening to a brother tell his story, I found the theological insights not so shallow-- and much more applicable to the know-it-all reading the book. And it was still hilarious.

The problem Mikalatos addresses is a real one. We all have a tendency to create our own "personal Jesus" to fit our own needs and hopes, to match our pet theologies, to keep us safe and comfortable. Our imaginary Jesus is often very much like Jesus, but with the hard sayings, the personal challenges, and even the deep, abiding love excised. The problem is, a relationship with an imaginary Jesus is just a relationship with . . . myself. At one point, Matt tells imaginary Jesus that he longs for the real Jesus-- he wants "the startling, bizarre, amazing relationship with the God who created the whole universe . . . . " Imaginary Jesus replies: "He's not me. I'm just you. You're a lonely man who talks to himself in the dark." To move from this place is a real and continuing journey for all of us.

Along Matt's journey, we meet some Mormons, who, as you might imagine (!), have their own imaginary Jesus, who used to be like us, but got a promotion to godhood. We meet the folks in the atheist Bible study, who take the claims of the real Jesus seriously as they read the text of the gospel of John. And in a stunning a moving exchange, we meet Mary, who tells Matt of her experience at the cross.

The story is a generous one, even as it pokes fun at our narrow conceptions and silly ideas about how to cope with the problem of life in the world. Some will be offended by certain references and the ways that Matt dismisses one imaginary Jesus after the other, and there aren't too many movements in the church that don't end up on the pointy end of Matt's humor (men's retreats, the emergent church, the hip all-white inner-city church, conservatives, liberals, etc.), but the tone is charitable throughout. Sure, he is making fun, but he is making fun of all of us and our fallen imaginations, not Jesus, the One we seek. The atheists and the Mormons, for example, have some of the most important insights in the book. Not as much as Daisy, the talking Donkey, but some good ones nonetheless.

Imaginary Jesus is a fun and worthwhile ride, a hilarious but compelling approach to narrating the quest we're all on to find the real Jesus.
________________
PS I've only been to Portland once, and the only reason that I went was to go to Powell's Books, my second-favorite bookstore of all time. Imagine my delight, then, when imaginary Jesus leads Matt and his friends to Powell's, where they are confronted by a veritable herd of imaginary Jesuses. I can only imagine (!) what other gems native Portlanders will find.

My favorite bookstore, of course, is Hearts and Minds Books, where I got my copy of Imaginary Jesus. If you had read Byron's Booknotes Blog that introduced me to IJ, you might have a copy already, too, and you wouldn't be wasting your time reading about it on my blog!

6 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Thanks so much for this generous review. I am glad you enjoyed Imaginary Jesus and I'm really thankful you took the time to write a review. Thanks!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for the review. You've definitely peeked my interest. I wonder how many Imaginary Jesus' in my life I will find in those pages. Sounds dangerous and just a little too auto-biographical to me. I'm also stoked to find-out about your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Matt! I thoroughly enjoyed the book, start to finish. I've already shared it with friends and plan to send a few back to school with my college kids in a few weeks.

    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

    By the way, I saw Keith and Kim Bubalo named in your acknowledgments. I met them back in my days as a Crusade student in the early 80's. They were young summer project staff, as I remember it, when I was a student (but that was long ago).

    Congrats on the book, and thanks for the comment. I look forward to seeing how the Lord uses your gifts!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil! So great to hear from you more regularly now-- it's been good to be back in touch.

    And give me your thoughts on the blog-- it's designed, obviously, to be for law students, prospective law students, and lawyers, but I can't resist an Imagainary Jesus or a roasting of St. Lawrence post now and then.

    Blessings to you, Phil!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out, Mike. My comments allured you into buying the book, but your review, then is music to my ears---that you didn't think it was a waste or your time. It is scary recommending books, as you want people to see helpful and good things in 'em. So, thanks for this great review.

    I can't imagine being in Powells. Scott Calgaro once sent me pictures while he was browsing around.

    AND, we have our share of IJ's here, too, ya know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Keith and Kim. Keith is actually my boss at Campus Crusade, and he has been one of the most incredible, fun and enjoyable human beings I've worked with.

    Let me know if your kids or their college friends want to talk about things in the book, I'm glad to interact with them via email or facebook or twitter.

    Thanks again, Mike!

    ReplyDelete