Sep 13, 2013

Cross & Gavel Podcasts Numbers 30 and 31

I want to highlight for readers a resource that I don't mention often, one that I'm trying to build into a more consistent voice on topics at the intersection of faith and work, particularly work in the law. I want to make you aware of Cross & Gavel audio.

I've been podcasting at Cross & Gavel now for close to 4 years, and we have produced 31 podcasts, on topics ranging from the Christian calling of the criminal defense lawyer, to reading lists, to law libraries and ideas on engaging the law school campus for Christ.

In an effort to be more regular in posting the podcasts, I'm hoping for a roughly twice-monthly schedule. I want to highlight the two latest and let you know that a discussion of the Vanderbilt religious liberty debacle is forthcoming.

In volume 30, I'm interviewed by David Nammo, executive director of the Christian Legal Society, about T.S. Eliot's Murder in the Cathedral, one of my favorite pieces of literature. Here's an excerpt:

Nammo: You're a professor, so you love to talk about the history and all this stuff.
Me: Blah, blah, blah, blah . . .
Nammo: But so what? What about you? What does it mean in your life? What does it mean in my life?

My response touches on the beautiful rendering by Eliot of the little injustices we tolerate in the midst of mundane life, in contrast to our unspoken fear of living in the face of that big affront to justice: sin. And he ties it to vocation: what can we really do in light of the incarnation in a fallen world? It's a great play and a short, fun discussion about it.

In volume 31, I interview University of Florida Law Professor Steven Willis on the religious rights of corporations, a topic that has come to the fore with the Hobby Lobby litigation over the HHS Mandate.

Professor Willis sets out in some details some of the best and worst arguments for the recognition of free exercise rights in corporate entities. He also goes on to suggest other possible responses and legislation on the matter.

Find the podcasts in the list at the landing page of the Cross & Gavel website, or on the Regent University page on iTunesU:

iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment