Jun 10, 2013

MY Summer Reading List

Last week I posted some suggestions for summer reading.

My recommendations were based on books I have actually read. (Although it is possible to have a (sort of) opinion on a book without actually having read it-- see Whit Stillman's Tom Townsend as my favorite example in the charming and brilliant Metropolitan.* Do I see a summer movie recommendation post coming??).  

So here are the books I am reading (or re-reading) this summer, time, energy, and discipline permitting:

Rosemary Sutcliff, Sword at Sunset

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together

Alan Fadling, An Unhurried Life: Following Jesus' Rhythms of Work and Rest

Siegfried Wenzel, The Sin of Sloth: Acedia in Medieval Thought and Literature

P.G. Woodhouse, My Man Jeeves

Also on the short list, but unlikely:

Dave Kraft, Leaders that Last
Jim Belcher, Deep Church
Ruth Haley Barton, Pursuing God's Will Together

*Metropolitan is a clean and virtuous movie, but topics of discussion in the movie make it suitable for adults only, IMO. Likewise Buechner's book Godric from yesterday's list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment